Gatton Campus Biosecurity Advisory Committee
The UQ Gatton Campus Biosecurity Advisory Committee is a sub-committee of the UQ Gatton Occupational Health & Safety Committee. The Chair of the Committee is a member of the UQ Gatton Occupational Health & Safety Committee and the UQ Institutional Biosafety Committee (UQ IBC).
Terms of Reference
- Provide advice to Gatton Campus management on appropriate responses to any incursion, threat or outbreak of disease potentially affecting the Campus and/or associated sites.
- Ensure written policies and Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) are in place to:
- Reduce the probability of entry of diseases of animals (including zoonoses) or plants on to the Gatton Campus or associated sites;
- Mitigate the threat and/or impact of diseases of animals or plants which may affect areas near to or on the relevant sites.
- Identify and report any emerging threats.
- Coordinate and ensure biosecurity controls and practices are consistent across the Gatton Campus (Schools and Units) and associated sites and with University policies and practices.
- Document and report incidents or accidents relating to potential or actual breaches of biosecurity and develop strategies to avoid recurrence of any incident or accident.
- Engage with relevant UQ stakeholders and external organisations located on the Campus conducting activities on the Campus to ensure harmonisation of biosecurity policies and practices.
- Engage with relevant UQ stakeholders to ensure compliance with biosecurity policies and practices and to seek advice and input relating to new developments, review and improvement of existing policies and practices.
- Engage with relevant stakeholders to raise the profile and importance of animal and plant biosecurity issues, policies and procedures.
Biosafety is part of the overall Occupational Health and Safety Program at UQ where relevant policies, procedures and guidelines are developed by the dedicated team of biosafety experts in the OH&S Divsion.
Plans, Procedures and Guidelines
Biosecurity guidelines, procedures and plans have been developed through the biosecurity advisory committee for the Gatton campus. Schools and units also maintain specific protocols in relation to the management of plants and animals on campus.
- Issued May 2014 Hendra Virus Vaccination Implementation Procedures
- Issued December 2013 Transport of Animals On/Off and within Gatton Campus
- Issued April 2014 UQ Gatton Campus Plant Biosecurity Guidelines
- Issued September 2015 UQ Gatton Campus Fire Ant Risk Management Plan
School of Veterinary Science
UQ Biological Resources
Queensland Animal Science Precinct (QASP)
The Queensland Animal Science Precinct is a dedicated animal research facility located on Gatton campus. For more information relating to QASP, please click here.
Emergency Response Procedures
- Gatton Campus Emergency Reporting Lines
- Equine Unit: Hendra Virus Preventative and Emergency Procedures
- List of significant animal pests and diseases
- Biosecurity Queensland - DAF
- National Livestock Identification System (NLIS)
- Queensland Notifiable Diseases
- Australian Bat Lyssavirus (ABLV) Workplace Health and Safety Queensland: ABLV WHS Qld Information